Wednesday, September 4, 2013

CSCW Special Comment

Hadn't been to the Knights Of Columbus Hall in Cahokia in a few years...MAX and UWA ran shows there in the past.

Attendance was a bit better than previous CSCW shows I had attended. Also, crowd enthusiasm wasn't a problem on this night.

Saw a few people for the first time: Ricky Starks(who just moved to this area along with a few other Texas competitors), Devyn Nicole(as a manager; she's wrestled at other Midwest shows), Jonathon Hampton(from Ohio; worked previous CSCW shows), Joe Bruizer(also from Ohio), Claudia Del Solis, and Jordynne Grace.

Some people were absent that had originally been scheduled for the show: Ax Allwardt, Darren Dean, Justa Mazing, Dakota Prodigy, and Joker(injured).

The ceiling was low and I worried about the tiles on a few occasions; Byron Wilcott actually moved a few tiles aside so he could pose on the second turnbuckle. :)

I found it oddly funny that Shane Fury came out to Eminem music...but then I've seen a few different Caucasian wrestlers use gangsta rap for their themes.

Yes, it's official: I've finally seen Aaron SOLO in a singles match.

Good to see Eric Allen back in action...he had been injured early in the year and I hadn't seen him in the ring since his February match with Michael Elgin. He had to forfeit the MECW Heavyweight Title as a result and only recently returned to action.

The in-ring action was solid for the most part; I felt the first half of the show was actually stronger than the second half for the most part. My favorite match of the night was the Rob Conway-Evan Money main event, followed closely by Chris Logan-Byron Wilcott.

On that note, kudos to Wilcott; I can honestly say that I had never seen a Shake-Weight used in a wrestling match. Bwahahaha...

Special guest referee Jimmy D's double-cross of Shane Somers seemed almost too obvious...I think today's wrestling fans are trained to expect the swerve. Randy Orton cashing in Money-In-The-Bank on Daniel Bryan was telegraphed in the weeks leading up to SummerSlam, but the true swerve was Triple H's involvement. Even after Jimmy D revealed his hand, it took an extended chair beatdown to keep Somers down...on top of that, D called for the bell without the words "I Quit" being spoken.

The women's match seemed a bit "off", sorry to say. I had seen a YouTube video of a previous encounter between Claudia and Jordynne where Claudia was the face and Jordynne was the heel; thought that bout was solid. The roles were reversed on this night as Jordynne did a promo earlier in the night to establish herself as the fan favorite. Someone told me Jordynne was injured so that may have been factor.

Not sure if I'll keep doing these commentaries; as hard as it may be for some people to believe, I DO go to wrestling events to have a good time and enjoy the show. Yes, I have my favorites and I have different reasons for those favorites...whether those favorites are "good for business" is another matter. At the end of the day, it's not my decision to make and one fan's opinion pales in comparison to those of a bunch of "casual fans" in Cena gear or whatever.

September looks like this:
Friday 9/6: DPW in Glen Carbon
Saturday 9/14(afternoon): SICW in Hillsdale (doing a comedy show that night so I won't make it to MMWA in St. Louis)
Saturday 9/21: SICW in East Carondelet
Saturday 9/28: MECW in Wood River

As always: #yaywrestling

No comments:

Post a Comment