Friday, December 16, 2011

MECW Special Comment

For the record, I think I've hit my tolerance level for heel boss gimmicks...so it was a real disappointment to see MECW pull the trigger on Sarin Sinn taking control of the company. Thankfully it was NOT all guest referees and handicap matches...but who knows where it'll lead. The audience's energy level was good for the whole night so that was cool.

It had been posted on the day of the show that The Honky Tonk Man and "The Genius" Lanny Poffo(already in town for a comedy gig in St. Louis) would be appearing at the show, but I only saw Honky. I don't know if Poffo left before I got there. It sounds like both did make appearances at the SICW show in East Carondelet.

Kind of a rough night for jumping off the ropes...I'll leave it at that.

Cool to see Eric Allen at the show...and it looks like Chris Logan is now a face by association. Good for him.

Mr. K sticks around as Mauler McDarby's manager, which is fine...he might honestly be better suited for that role.

One of the big holes in any heel boss gimmick is that, theoretically, he could alter the rules to his benefit at ANY time. So why didn't Sinn just say "oh, the title can change hands on a DQ in this match" and award the Independent Title to Kharfu? They had to dance around stuff like that in the opening yap segment to explain why Sinn didn't just fire EVERYONE he didn't like. In storyline, he's "fired" Bailey Mannix, Eric Allen, and Evan Money. Allen was pushed into service as ring announcer and then referee, at any rate.

Speaking of which, that didn't make Sinn look too smart as he put Allen in a position to officiate a Heavyweight Title match when he was clearly going to be biased against Justin Reno. Some of my fellow wrestling fans have noted Sinn's resemblance to Bobby from King Of The Hill, so I say: That boy ain't right. :-D

I feel like I'm glossing over the in-ring action...there were rough spots, as I said, but overall it was solid. Santel-Kharfu was probably my favorite match of the night. I did appreciate the total heelishness of Sinn's win over McDarby(ref as a shield, two weapon shots, feet on the ropes, one his many lackies makes the pin count).

It'll be interesting to see how MECW rebuilds their contenders' picture with Bailey Mannix out of the picture and Allen inactive..."Joey" is an intimidating presence, at any rate.

Anywho, I'll be wrapping up my local wrestling year with St. Louis Anarchy...interesting mix of people on the card, including a special appearance by Raven as well as ROH Heavyweight Champion Davey Richards in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment