Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Comedy Parts 678-9: First At Helium, Last At Crow's Nest

Location: Helium Comedy Club
Host: Jeremy Hellwig
After: Jeremy Hellwig
Before: Sarah Pearl

Location: Crow's Nest (Wild Card Comedy)
Host: Tree Sanchez
After: Casey Paulsen
Before: None(on last)

While I didn't make the open-mic list at Helium this week, I was asked to do a special "host audition" showcase on Wednesday night along with a half-dozen other local comedians.  It was a chance for us to do longer sets and club announcements in preparation for weekend emcee bookings...woo.  Ben Simon and his female friend attended the show, which I appreciated since I had a few comp tickets to dole out.  I felt like I lost some momentum in the second half of my set, but I filled it out well and nailed the announcements...woo.  I got some good feedback from manager Andrew...regional material may not fly as well in different areas(i.e. references to Bellevegas or Washington Park).

From there, I made my way to The Crow's Nest for Wild Card Comedy...the bar was very chatty, but I crossed paths with familiar face Justin Poole in the house.  I went on last and figured out pretty quickly that the people weren't listening to regular material, so I went to the card-drawing.  I whiffed on two cards(Do Pun-To Others and Rad Lib)...it was weird as I have several pun-related jokes but totally blanked on them.  As for the other one, crowd work may be my biggest onstage weakness...urgh.  The third card was Is This Thing On, meaning I did my last joke sans microphone.  That went slightly better and my overall set went slightly better than anticipated...I had a few things planned as I had wanted to avoid repeating anything I did at Helium, but the plan went out the window in a hurry.  Ah well...I need to learn to do more things on the fly while on stage.  Next up is another doubleheader on Thursday night:  Hey Guys Comedy, then Fitz's!

No comments:

Post a Comment