Sunday, December 2, 2012

MWR Column

Gateway Championship Wrestling was a lot of things to a lot of people. For some, it was the start of their journey in the wrestling business en route to WWE or TNA. For others, it was an alternative to other local promotions that had fallen short in their eyes. For me, it was my introduction to independent wrestling.

I had read about indy wrestling in the so-called “mark magazines” and on the internet, but I was largely unaware of the scene in the St. Louis area. As it turned out, I went to broadcasting school at the same time as a local wrestler named Ryan Ash who told me about GCW…my first show was in the spring of 2000 in Florissant, Missouri.

In this era where a lot of things in wrestling run together in one’s head, I remember that show fairly well. Referee Sean Vincent taking down Super Castaldi with a rana. Nikki Strychnine causing chaos wherever he went. Wild brawls between Big Bad Ben and D’Mon G as well as Jacques LaFours and Strychnine. Mike Sharona hitting his trademark Asai moonsault in the triple threat main event. It was something a bit different…and I think that’s what draws a lot of fans to independent wrestling.

Indy wrestling is a “closer look” at the business. With mainstream promotions, you’re at a certain distance from it all. On the local level, you have a better chance to interact with these people. That’s another part of the appeal, I guess.

For several years, GCW was considered “the place to be” in Midwest wrestling. Several people who started in Gateway went on to appear for promotions across the country. I was one of the fans at Aggies’ in St. Louis when a skinny kid simply named “Matt” made one of his first in-ring appearances…he’d go on to be IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Champion and ROH Tag Team Champion Matt Sydal. Then he made it to WWE, appeared at a WrestleMania, and even held the WWE Tag Team Titles with Kofi Kingston as Evan Bourne.

I was at a county fair in the summer of 2001 when a masked man named Delirious made his debut as well as a new female competitor named MsChif. Both have made their marks on the larger wrestling scene, including appearances for TNA. I was at Aggies’ when Daizee Haze made her debut appearance alongside Johnny Greenpeace…she also went on to greater fame in American women’s wrestling.

The diversity of the group was another highlight. There were high-flyers, hardcore brawlers, technical wrestlers, and plenty of outrageous characters. Each of them was a part of what made GCW what it was.

I was fortunate to play a small role with the promotion…first as a website and program column writer, then as a home video commentator. I appreciated the opportunity to be a part of it all and, yes, this reunion means quite a bit to me. The show a few summers ago was a small taste of those days with Pete Madden, Sharona, Strychnine, and Makaze in the tag team main event…and it’ll be a blast to see some of those faces once again.

I always advise wrestling fans to see at least one indy show…regardless of the quality of the show, it’ll give you a new perspective on the business. In this case, I highly recommend this show to anyone who’s a fan…whether you’ve been to an independent show or not, it’ll be a lot of fun for everyone.

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment