Thursday, August 13, 2015

Comedy Part 589-590: Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Location:  Hey Guys Comedy
Emcee:  Gary Schultz
After:  Joe "The Animal" Lancey
Before:  Doug Morris

Location:  The Crow's Nest (Wild Card Comedy)
Emcee:  J.C. Sibala
After:  Stryker Spurlock
Before:  Tina Dybal

Okay, it wasn't THAT bad, but things could have gone a lot better.  I went up late at Hey Guys and a lot of the comics didn't do very well...I started by riffing on Joe's joke about his daughter dating a guy who looks like Harry Potter, saying that I was taking Joe's daughter out after the show.  That kinda threw me off track from my planned set as I also commented on someone else's previous joke(about gun ownership)...so one of my newer jokes(about going to a movie theater for the first time in a while) didn't hit as well as I would have liked.  Still, I got a decent reaction to my jokes.

Since I'm on vacation from work, I decided to stop by the Wild Card Comedy show to make it a double-header...the people in the bar were really chatty and a lot of the comics struggled to get good reactions to their jokes.  Uncharacteristically, I started off with a wisecrack about the chattiest people and that didn't start me off on the right foot.  I didn't hear much laughter for that set...when I picked one of the cards, I got a pretty bad one for me:  Counter Punch.  That card meant that the audience was encouraged to heckle and I had to retort...the only worse one I could have gotten was the one for crowd work!  If nothing else, this night showed me that I still have a lot to learn about certain aspects of the comedy game...next up for me is Fitz's.

No comments:

Post a Comment