Monday, October 24, 2011

UGW Special Comment

Interesting environment for a show...Pop's had hosted some JCW shows in the past but I hadn't been there very often in the past. The only other time I was at Pop's was when Chris Jericho was there with Fozzy several years ago.

Knew pretty much the entire card ahead of time, amazingly enough...when Mephisto did a promo and complained about arriving to find out he'd be working the opener against two comedy characters, I joked that he didn't see the event flyers. :)

My friend Drew and I had a good lengthy conversation with Gary Jackson...the guy's been in wrestling for almost as long as I've been alive. Cool guy to talk to, hadn't really interacted with him much in the past.

Solid tag match to open the show...kind of a surprise result. It brings to mind the adage about burying your opponents in promos...if you make your opponents out to be nothing and then you lose, what does that make you? Even if you win, what does it mean since you just beat opponents that suck?

Kurt Styles hadn't wrestled in several months, good to see him back in action.

Can't say much about the positioning of the first and second matches without giving away trade secrets...heh. Don't know anything at all about either Sensei Almighty or his entourage.

Gordon Pumpernickle did some post-match interviews...don't know if he has a bigger role in the promotion or not.

Okay, the six-man tag...from the sound of things, the "I.C.U." group was a bunch of backyarders. The three active competitors had close to a dozen people in their corner(including the valet) and apparently most of them are part of their group as well. I honestly don't know the whole situation and the match was fine enough...things broke down at the end when Neil Cutter appeared to have the win(after hitting his Diamond Cutter twice) and the other guys stormed the ring for the DQ. One of the Hooligans looked seriously ticked off and got on the microphone to threaten the promoter over putting them in with "untrained" opponents...I guess it's up for debate whether he should have done that in front of the audience or dealt with it backstage.

A lot of the fans were there for the I.C.U. guys...I had a flashback to times when new open-mic comedians brought a ton of friends who were there JUST to cheer for their friend. The fans were into the show from top to bottom, I will say that...I've seen times where the audience members go out of their way to NOT react positively to anyone else.

Espinosa-Sydal seemed out of place in the nature of the show but it was a good matchup...pretty sure I saw Mike & Matt's dad in attendance(he had a cameo on an episode of The Dirt Sheet way back when).

The main event was as chaotic as you might expect..."Amanda" is apparently a transvestite wrestler, which sucks because you get preoccupied with just LOOKING for signs that this person is...what he/she is, I guess. :) It was a hardcore-style match and I felt like a bitter old wrestling fan in noting that people got up too fast after pretty big moves(like a DDT on the floor and a pumphandle powerbomb onto thumbtacks)...guess that's how I am nowadays.

Okay...I need to check on the November schedule because it's loaded up. MECW has the Ironman Match, SICW has Al Snow, etc. Next weekend is MMWA and MECW, so two good choices for fans in this area...

Elsewhere, WLW had a big show in Eldon with Ricky Steamboat, Kevin Von Erich, and S. William Regal in attendance...Regal even wrestled against the returning Ace Steel. I heard the triple threat Women's Title match with Lucy Mendez(C), Stacey O'Brien, and Ms. Natural was really good. Wish they ran closer to here because, out of the groups that run in the Midwest, I have not yet been to a WLW show.

No comments:

Post a Comment