Friday, September 16, 2011

Comedy Part 393 Plus: Ring Ring Gramophone

Location: Gramophone
Emcee: Nick Niebuhr
After: Ben Flug
Before: Shaun Arredondo

I know that I'm one of many, many comics in the area trying to get a handful of spots on shows. I also realize that most of my friends aren't available to attend shows for a variety of reasons, especially shows on the Missouri side of the river with gas clocking in at about three-and-a-half-a-gallon. I ALSO also realize that I'm not the only comic to be lost in the shuffle as of late...last night reminded me that I hadn't seen Mike Strantz or Andy Faasen on stage nearly as often lately. There are a ton of local comics on the scene lately...GOOD local comics, which means any individual comic needs to be on his game to stay on the map. I let that get to me sometimes, unfortunately...I see a good show like the one at Comedy Etc. on Wednesday night and wish I could have been a part of it. On top of that, my financial situation may require me to find a second job soon that may or may not throw comedy right out of the personal schedule...so yeah, some recent frustration.

Anywho, ventured into uncharted waters last night as I performed at the second-ever comedy show at a venue called The Gramophone. I may have been the only person in the building old enough to know what a gramophone is/was. Hank Lamlech(who invited me to perform on the show) had been bugging me about getting my hair cut...I am long overdue for that and probably will get it trimmed soon with a potential job hunt on the horizon. At any rate, I got around 7-8 minutes and felt like I had a really good set. It's a nice venue with an actual stage...not the biggest crowd in the world but the crowd noise translated well. We got entrance music so I went with the standard-issue theme of "White & Nerdy" by Weird Al Yankovich...bwahahaha.

Show: Midnight Black Mass
Host: "The Reverend" Dan Wilson
Link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dragonsrejects/2011/09/09/dielaughing

Felt like I should blog about my Thursday night from LAST week as I was a guest on Dan Wilson's internet show. Wish I could have been a bit more interesting than I was...heh. We talked about both comedy and wrestling since I got in touch with Dan through the wrestling connection...he's a manager for NWA Anarchy, the spiritual successor to NWA Wildside where he was the main play-by-play commentator. I e-mailed him to ask for a bit of advice for a beginner when I started doing the video commentary for GCW and we stayed in touch through the social networks. Hope we can cross paths in person via comedy or wrestling one of these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment